Amidst the killing of Gen. Qassem Soleimani, a respected figure among the top iranian generals by a US airstrike, 3000 us troops are to be sent to the middle East as reinforcement.
From Washington, the US said on Friday, it is sending nearly 3,000 more troops to the Mideast in the volatile aftermath of the killing of an Iranian general in a strike ordered by President Donald Trump.
According to US Defense officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a decision not yet announced by the Pentagon, said the troops are from the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
This means, they are in addition to about 700 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne who deployed to Kuwait earlier this week after the storming of the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad by Iran-backed militiamen and their supporters.
The new reinforcements took shape as Trump gave his first comments on the strike, declaring that he ordered the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani because he was “plotting to kill” many Americans. “He should have been taken out many years ago,” he added.
The recent air strike marked a major escalation in the conflict between Washington and Iran, as Iran vowed “harsh retaliation” for the killing of the senior military leader.
The two nations have faced repeated crises since Trump withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal and imposed crippling sanctions.